Meet Charlie the Chunking Chipmunk
“What’s up? I’m Charlie the Chunking Chipmunk.
I help you break unknown words into small chunks.
Look for little words or sounds that you know,
Put them back together as a word and you’ll be the star of the show!”
Moving from decoding one syllable words to two and three syllable words can be very challenging for many students. As students begin reading multi-syllabic words, it is important for them to know how to break words into units larger than individual sounds. Charlie the Chunking Chipmunk gives students the skills and practice they need to become efficient at decoding longer words.
My students love when I bring out Charlie! When using his strategy, they feel confident and encouraged to read “big” words in isolation and in context. Our complete, 130 page, phonics unit includes activities, worksheets, and printables for the following syllable types: Closed, closed with blends, vowel-consonant-e, -le, open, r-controlled, digraphs and diphthongs. This unit is great for guided reading, intervention, independent review, reading centers and homework.
Aligned with Common Core Literacy Standards in grades K-3, this unit includes the following activities and worksheets:
- Differentiated lesson plan for chunking multisyllabic words
- Suggestions for use
- Graphic organizers for two and three syllable words
- Phonics worksheets for decoding two syllable words
- Word lists for multisyllabic words with various syllable patterns
- Flashcards and multi-sensory activity ideas
- Chunking chipmunk poster and puppet graphic
- Decoding and Comprehension strategy poster
- Sentence writing worksheets with word banks and editing checklist
- Customizable worksheets to allow for differentiation
Download here so you can introduce Charlie the Chunking Chipmunk to your students today!